OBKG - 学校法人 岡学園 大阪文化国際学校


About our school and lessons

What makes OBKG different?

OBKG was established in 1985 and has 30 years of experience in teaching the Japanese language. Our school has been certified by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, so students can be rest assured they are receiving the best education. For more details, please click here.

When should I apply?

We accept students every quarter: January, April, July, October.

Is scholarship available?

There are various scholarships for students.

JASSO Scholarship
Students can enter the selection process based on the recommendation from the school. ¥48,000/month × 12 months.
Scholarship for the Outstanding Students
One-time scholarship granted by OBKG twice a year (Spring and Autumn). ¥50,000 × several students.
JLPT Academic Scholarship
OBKG Scholarship granted to students who obtain high scores on JLPT N1, N2.
EJU Academic Scholarship
OBKG Scholarship granted to students who obtain high scores on EJU.

Are all the lessons conducted in Japanese language? Are all the teachers Japanese?

Yes, all lessons are conducted in Japanese, and all the teachers are Japanese. Our teachers are professional Japanese teachers who have teaching certifications. Moreover, many teachers at our school have been teaching for a long period of time, and with their experience, they can help the students improve.

What can I do after graduating from OBKG?

90% of the students who graduate from OBKG go on to attend Undergraduate and Graduate Schools. Other students go on to attend vocational schools majoring in Animation, Manga, IT Relations, Culinary, Patisserie, Fashion, Tourism, and Hospitality.
Upon graduation, students can also directly look for employment (with conditions). OBKG is the only Japanese Language school in the Kansai region with permission to let students look for employment upon graduation.

What can I major in after graduating from OBKG?

Management, Management Information, Economy, Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Biotechnology, Robotics, Anime, Manga, Environmental Studies, Human Science, Welfare Studies, Mathematics, Applied Chemistry, Medicine and Life Sciences, Patisserie, Culinary, Hospitality, Tourism, etc. Note that many majors are divided into specific areas of study.

When and how can I apply?

Students should start the application process from up to 6 months before the month they wish to be admitted. Prepare the required documents, and send it before the deadline. After screening the documents, we will send them to the Immigration Bureau to be processed. For more details, please click here.

How many hours of lessons are there in a day? What time do they start and end?

There are 4 hours of lessons a day with breaks in between, and the classes are divided into the morning and afternoon sessions. The morning class starts at 9 AM - 12.50 PM. The afternoon class starts from 1.10PM - 4.50PM

How are the students divided into the different classes? How many students are there per class?

Upon admission, students will take a placement test to determine their level, and be divided into classes based on their scores on the test. Students cannot choose their own class.
The average number of students per class is 13 - 14 students.

What do I need to do in order to be able to attend Graduate school?

Students who wish to attend Graduate schools need to pass JLPT N1 Level, and many Graduate schools also require International students to take the EJU. In addition, students have to write a 1000 word summary of their research plan and answer questions regarding their research plans during their entrance examination. It is also common for students to have to write an 800 word paper in their field of specialization.

What is the recommendation-based entrance examination system?

When applying for Undergraduate studies, students with good academic standing can take part in the recommendation-based entrance examination system at designated universities. Students who take part in this system will have an advantage in the admission process.

I passed the JLPT N1/N2 level.
Should I still attend Japanese Language school?

Even after passing JLPT N1 level, International students often still find it difficult to keep up with lessons in University. Students have to take their lessons in Japanese, write reports in Japanese, create their own school schedule, look for apartments, etc on their own. By attending a Japanese language school, not only can you improve your Japanese language skills, you can also get accustomed to life in Japan. At OBKG, we help students during the VISA application process, obtain Residence Cards and National Health Insurance, apply for bank accounts, buy mobile phones, commuting, bicycle parking regulations, etc. Learning at a Japanese language school does not only mean studying the Japanese language but also learning how to conduct oneself and live independently in Japan.

How much is the tuition per year?

A one-time admission fee of JPY 50,000 is required. School fee is JPY 600,000 per year, and Extra Curricular Activities fee is JPY 80,000, bringing the total to JPY 730,000 for the first year of study. Tuition for the second year differs according to the course length. For more details, please go to our Course and Tuition page. After the first year, tuition is due every 6 months.

Life in Osaka

How much is the living expenses per month?

Living expenses differ for each person, but the average is ¥ 70,000 - ¥ 100,000 per month (including rent).
This is broken down to rent and utility bills JPY 35,000 - JPY 45,000, food expenses JPY 20,000 - JPY 30,000, transportation and phone bills JPY 10,000 - JPY 20,000, and other expenses JPY 10,000 - JPY 20,000.

I've heard that cost of living is high in Japan, and I'm worried.

Osaka is a metropolitan city, and compared to other big cities, has a relatively low cost of living. OBKG is located at the city center, and the rent of a one-room apartment (with a bathroom and toilet) located nearby is about JPY 30,000 - JPY 40,000 per month. There are also cheap supermarkets in the are, so students do not have to worry about overspending on daily needs.

Is there a school dormitory?

We have a school dormitory located in Nipponbashi. It is convenient to commute and there are many izakayas and convenience stores nearby, providing students with a lot of opportunities to find a part-time job. There are also 24-hour supermarkets and a hospital located within walking distance of the dormitory, making it a very convenient place.

How much is the dormitory fee?

The dormitory entrance fee is JPY 50,000, the deposit is JPY 20,000 and the dormitory fee is JPY 126,000 for 3 months.

Is it a one-person room?

Yes, it's a one-person room.

I want to go to Tokyo.
What makes Osaka better?

The cost-of-living in Tokyo is high, and the rent is about 2 times that of Osaka. The average rent in Osaka is ¥ 30,000, while that in Tokyo is ¥ 50,000 - ¥ 60,000. Compared to Osaka, the monthly expense in Tokyo is much higher.
Moreover, since there have always been many foreigners living in Osaka, Osakans are very friendly toward foreigners.

Where in Osaka is OBKG located?

Our school is located 5 minutes away from the JR Tenma Station and the Subway Ogimachi Station by foot, and is in the middle of a residential area, providing a quiet and suitable environment for learning. There is a hospital, post office, a bank, and supermarket within walking distance from our school, making OBKG a convenient place. In addition, there is a shopping street located 2 minutes away by foot, that stretches for about 2km with a variety of things to see. Also, 5 minutes away by foot is Tenmangu, a shrine where one of the 3 biggest Japanese Festival, the Tenjin-matsuri is held every year.

Can I work part-time?
Can The school help me look for a part-time job?

Students with student visas can apply for the permission to work part-time. There are a lot of opportunities near the school in the Umeda and Tenjinbashi shopping street area, and near the dormitory in the Nipponbashi and Namba shopping district. The school also has a bulletin board with information on part-time work opportunities.

What do I need to get the permission to work part-time?

In order to work part-time, International students will need Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted. Students will need to comply with rules and regulations when working part-time.

In case I get hurt or ill, will the school provide assistance?

A teacher will bring you to the hospital close to the school. If you are worried about communicating in Japanese, our staff will provide assistance. Also, all students are required to have national health insurance, and in case of injury and/or sickness, 70% of the cost of treatment is covered by the insurance.

Does OBKG conduct other activities apart from lessons?

There are various events and activities held at our school every year. Upon admission, we have a school entrance ceremony to welcome students to OBKG. Throughout the year, we have activities such as takoyaki and kakigori (shaved ice) party, an annual school trip, mochi making activity, and bowling competition. In March, we have a graduation ceremony and party for graduating students. Moreover, students often go out with their teachers in small groups to eat out and have fun!

TEL: 06-6882-1435
Mail: obkg@japanese.ac.jp
QQ: 2240966659

OBKG Information magazine Japanese.ac.jp - 大阪文化国際学校 情報マガジン




OBKG School Blog

Happy faces of our Graduates